Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

where did "E" drive come from 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jockie

Technical User
Jun 12, 2002
CA
I recently had a failed hard drive "c". When the replacement hard drive was installed by the manufacturer it ended up as "E".How do I redesignate this as "c" or do I just go along?.

Log on as administrator, go to administrative tools, disk management, and from there you can change the drive letter designation (I think you can just right click on it and choose 'change drive letter'...).

Hope this helps.

Corie

tahoe2,

It is not that simple. He is booting from E and you need to use the registry or diskpart to change the assignment. Disk Management will not let you change a boot drive.

Sorry, my mistake. I just tried it on my XP machine and all you can do is mount the boot sector to a NTFS folder on another drive that you've changed to C:, however that works...

Corie

Oops, hit post and I wasn't done! That works to get the machine to think you're booting to C:, but it's only a shell, not the real thing. I have no idea if it will fool programs or anything.
Like bcastner says, you need a third party partition creator to do it right.

Sorry, and thanks for the heads up! (my brain is stuck in NT mode...)

You can actually work around the issue without third party tools.

The link I gave above gives the details. It is slightly messy, but not horribly difficult.

My question to jockie who started the thread: I would have immediately returned the machine to the vendor and let them sort this out.

Best.

Just a thanks to Tahoe2...pointed me in the right direction about a different problem. Removable drive setting up with different drive letter assignments depending on what else is plugged in at the time. It played hell with replication & paths for my split MS Access DB.

You gety a star for the help.

Clint Galliano
Halliburton Energy Services
BAROID PSL
"Done ONCE, Done RIGHT!"

Thanks for the star, milcman! Glad my ramblings were of help!

Corie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back