Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where did 3com go??

Status
Not open for further replies.

tekkid

Technical User
Dec 28, 2001
US
Hey guys,

I just had a question about 3com. Did I miss something or have the 3com network cards vanished from store shelves? Where I work we use those as the standard for our pc's. The last couple times I have needed one in a pinch, instead of ordering from the vendor, I've ran to the local pc store to attempt to pick up. To my suprise, each time there have been 0 on the shelf.

Is something going on with 3com? Have they been bought out or anything? I'm just wondering so that I will know if I need to make plans on changing the standard we use.

Thanks for the responce in advance.

kidd

They're still around.

Could be that competitors are taking more shelf space at local dealers with less-expensive products or that the dealers can make more profit on other brands.

I use a rule-of-thumb that if I need x-number of products I'll always add one more to the order, always seem to need one more modem that I have orders for or one more memory module, etc.

I went shopping last week looking for either an Intel or 3Com relatively high-end lan adapter.

There were none to choose from at three local computer stores, including two big chains (CompUSA and MicroCenter). None from either of these brands were stocked.

Yeah bcastner, Thats what I'm talking about. I know they are still around but I also notice none on the shelves in the stores.. I dont think a company can last too long if thats the case all over.

The 3Com's are more expensive than, say, the realtek stuff which is very cheap. That's one reason it's not being stocked. Another is that almost all new motherboards are coming with lan biult in. The shop I deal with the most only keeps a few d-link cards on hand (can still order the more expensive if you want of course..)

If you're going through Hell...keep going... (Winston Churchill)
RocKeRFelLerZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back