Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where di I configure Firewall 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimHorton

Programmer
Jan 29, 2000
US
Hi,
2 questions from a new Red hat 7.3 (server) user...
1. Where is the firewall configuration? I found this 'Kickstart' thing, and though it had firewall configuration, it seemed to want to completely reinstall?!

2. How do I create either a domain name or workgroup name for this machine?

Thanks,
--Jim

1. Firewall configuration is done using the iptables commands. You can also type 'lokkit' from the command line to give you a simple menu driven interface just to open and close ports. Thats all lokkit does though, which might be fine if thats what you want.

2. To set the domain name, edit the /etc/sysconfig/network file and change your hostname. Afterwards, type 'hostname=me.domain.com'.

3. To join a workgroup (I'm assuming a Windows workgroup), you need to install Samba and then edit the /etc/samba/smb.conf file. Use the 'workgroup=mygroup' directive.

ChrisP ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If somebody helps you, please vote for them for "Tipmaster of the Week" by giving them a "purple star". This can be done by clicking the "Mark this post as a helpful/expert post" button.

Chris,
Thanks, I will look at that. Another question...with VNC, I type in my windows98 machine at redhat's vnc prompt, and it does nothing. (the service is running on the 98 box and my win2k box connects fine).

I've tried: 192.168.2:0 and 192.168.0.2:5800, but the prompt window just disappears, and no 'failed to connect' or any other response comes up. I seem to recall that in my previous venture into the linux world, that there was some issue with the prompt window's size, ie if I expanded it, then the Enter key would work, but if it was just, say, 1 line, it wouldn't. Are you familiar with any of this?
--Jim

Sorry, I'm not sure. I would post it as new thread so others will read it. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If somebody helps you, please vote for them for "Tipmaster of the Week" by giving them a "purple star". This can be done by clicking the "Mark this post as a helpful/expert post" button.

Kickstart is the Kickstart Configurator. It's used for performing unattended installations of Red Hat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back