Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

where could I setup raid 5?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ini1999

Technical User
Jul 29, 2008
CA
I am new in server setup, give me a hand please.

we order a IBM 4193, 3 hard disks 146GB, and a LSI controller MR-10i. I have to setup RAID 5 on this server.

I installed controller and hard disks, loaded in LSI Corp Config Utility from Ctrl+C.

In adapter list, I highlight controller, setup each of 3 hard disk as "raid enable", hot spare is "No". and I saw at "Direct connect Device", 3 disks show "Bay0", "Bay1","Bay2" as SAS, at "Controller XXX", show 3 disks phy as "Raid enable"

I go throught all option "RAID properties" "SAS topology" and "advanced properties", I cannot find where should I setup as Raid 5.

I put system CD in the server, try to setup, at configure "Serveraid Managerment" step, Raid from 0 to 10 are all grey, I cannot pick up Raid 5 option.

could someone help me out?
Did I do sth wrong, what should I do to array and setup raid5 with 3 disks on this server?

Thanks so much

Most RAID cards allow you to setup RAID during POST, there should be a key-combo option to enter the LSI RAID BIOS, assign the drives to an array and select the array type.

IBM might be different, check out this PDF:

ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/systems/support/system_x_pdf/ibm_doc_sraidmr_10i-10.01_install-guide.pdf

to see if it is of any help.

There is also a
User's Guide
available.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Sometimes the POST messages either flash by too fast or don't actually tell you at all. Try F10 repeatedly as soon as you hit the power button. That worked on a Proliant DL145 G3 for me when POIST said nothing.

Burt

Wahnula said it one way, I'll say it a different way. The sure fire solution is to RFM my son, RFM. That means READ the F&%&$## MANUAL.

Read your documentation that came with the product or that can be downloaded from the internet. If you're going to be responsible for this piece of equipment, don't be lazy and ask others to help you set it up. You need to understand every aspect of it for future reference since you'll be living with it and taking care of it. If you don't do it now, you'll have to do it later when you're having a problem.

I can't see a better motivation for spending 30 minutes reading the manual than that!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back