Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where cna I get info to build my own switch box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

frustratedbartender

Technical User
Nov 25, 2011
US
So as posted in the thread below I decided it would be FUN to try and build my own switch box. One that would include vidseo, USB, and audio lines.

Who needs PS/2 keyboard connectors anyway. But I realized that there might be some electronics involved, like a resistor to squelch an overload when switching on pin suddenly to another.

But am not an engineer, just seems like fun to take on.

Any thoughts as how to best do research?

Am sure everything I need I could buy at radio shack afterall.

Many thanks all...

p.s. If they made a 4 - 5 way switch box that had all the parts mentioned above, I'd probably skip the building thing ;-)

You need a standard kvm. There is no need to build a hack job box for what you want. There are standard solutions to do what you want with keyboard/mouse emulation so all 4 PC's can run at once. Under $100 for a qualtity 4 port unit from newegg. Just search KVM. I like the monoprice units for the price, features, and that they include 4 sets of cables. For audio, you'll likely need to pay a bit more. Remote Desktop will also give you all of that just needing ethernet connectivity and WINXP or better with one host PC.

-CL

Yeah, don't want the "remote" solution. But if KVM offers all the above (including the audio in and out) BINGO. Thanks

A KVM device is for switching keyboard, video, and mouse between different computers, instead of having multiples of same. I have never seen a KVM that has audio capabilities. In the typical KVM environment, audio is not used or required.

....JIM....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back