Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where can I purchase Dell Poweredge 2300 CPU's other than from Dell 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dougDFW

MIS
Sep 24, 2002
US
Where can I purchase Dell Poweredge 2300 CPU's other than from Dell (overpriced and no faster chips). I have a Dell PowerEdge 2300 running with one 350 Pentium II processor. I have upgraded the firmware. Somewhere I read, this server can now support an 800 (100 mghz FSB) processor. On Dell's website all I can find is a Pentium II 450 processor. I would like to purchase two faster processors (or at least one PIII 700+) for this email server. The processor must come with the appropriate heat sink (fan?) and attachment mechanisms.

I also would like to purchase a Dell 2400 PIII 533 (but it has to be a Dell processor in order to attach to the mainboard and have the proper heatsinks.)

Thank you,
DougDFW

I've been looking on ebay for a while. I guess my best best is to buy a stripped server (for the processor only.)
Thank you for your help.
DougDFW

Hi Doug,

I realise i am coming into this thread a little late, just recently i upgraded 2 PE2300's to dual 1Gig Piii's. They were the intel retail boxed versions. I will try and dig out the part no, from the boxes.

One of the machines was an old Pii model, and the other was a piii model.

Both seem to be running fine with the 1Gig's so you could now try looking for the faster cpu's.

Email me if you have any questions.

Rob

Any special requirements with the Intel CPU's? I have one 350 PII model PE 2300 now, so I assume that has a 100 mghz front side bus. Also, what about the Dell Mounting clips/fan. The PII350 only has an oversized heat sink. I would imaging you have to add your own powered fan in order to keep the processor cool (my server room hangs around 70-80.)

Thanks for the help.

Doug

Hi Doug,

FYI: if you can get hold of the genuine intel kits, they actually come with a built in heatsink. They also fitted directly into the sockets on my PE2300's

The only modifications i had to make were to put drive power connectors on the power cables for the fans.

You can check out the format of the chips at the following address:

BTW I claim no credit for finding this out. I originally got most of my info from the Delltalk site. Most of it related to dell precision 410's. I did the upgrade on the 410's, and have recently disposed of the 410's but kept the CPU's, which just happened to fit nicely in my PE2300's.

Just found a US link to a site that sells the processors:

Hope this helps

Rob.

BTW if you want any advice email me on rob@rslsystems.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back