Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where can I learn more about DATE and TIME functions??

Status
Not open for further replies.

blakekr

Programmer
Jul 19, 2000
US
I'm new to mySQL and trying to convert a fairly complex program to it.

Most of my tables have an unofficial key which is a timestamp stored as DATETIME, to keep it static.

I would like to take some of my longer, more elaborate perl time-handling functions and use the mySQL built-in ones instead. But I can't seem to find any good guides to doing so. Not on the mySQL site and definitely not in the perl-DBI book (a disappointment to me).

I am trying to figure out probably-simple things like:

- how to get perl to return the results of a
SELECT FROM_UNIXTIME(UNIX_TIMESTAMP(), '%Y-%m-%d')
...command.

- how to efficiently
SELECT * FROM myTable WHERE {e.g., month=(n) months before current month, in the datetime column, format YYYY-MM-DD HH:MI:SS}
... using mySQL commands as opposed to some silly hack.

The script is very date-centric and I would love to be doing things RIGHT as opposed doing things kluged.

Does anyone have any suggestions for finding out how to do this gracefully, or even a suggestion of a well-written date-centric mySQL script I could examine?

Thank you for all thoughts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back