Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where can I get training for Mercator? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

busbus

Programmer
May 23, 2006
US
Hello,

We are currently using Mercator V6.5. Yes, I know it is old but it is what we use. I am fairly new to this group and I am having a terrible time learning Mercator on my own. Maybe it is because Mercator is more like object oriented and I am an old procedureal guy....

In any event, I know there HAS to be some sort of trainign somewhere out there! Anything. Anywhere. On-line. In a class.

Thanks,
Ray Kinzler

IBM do the training now though it will brobably be on a later version.
Have you tried the tutorial supplied with the product?

Yes, I have been trying the tutorial but I just don't get it 100% yet, know what I mean? I htink it is because I am looking at it from a procedural point of view and I need to look at it differently.

Many of the maps we use here at work are sort of complex. The guy I work with says they were not written properly in a lot of cases and they are harder than they need to be, so that is part of the problem, too.

I have been trying to navigate IBM's site and I can't find where they offer classes for Mercator. I really believe if I get a good couple days of training, I should be good to go. I have a lot of questions the other guy here can't answer because he simply doesn't know. He just does things until he sort of, kind of gets them to work.

Thanks! I will continue looking at the IBM site.

In addition to the PDF's look at the exmaple maps that were shipped with the 6.5. Like the PDF they are probably more simple than you want but they might help with some of the concepts.

Also, keep in mind that some of the rules you find in maps can look worse than they really are because of how element names are formated. So, if you know what the data in the rule is you can focus on understanding what the function does (or should do).

Luck

The sample maps are unforunately long gone. The install disks? Nowhere to be found.

Before I hear it from a lot of people, YES, we are in a large amount of trouble here with outdated software and no way to even get back to that if disaster strikes.

We are trying to get the latest and greatest (it's 8.something, right?)--but we aren'tholding our breaths.

I am almost there. I sort of understand what is happening if my co-worker goes through a section line-by-line, but I forget what he said for the most part by the next day.

I know I am making this out to be harder than what it really is but I am so wrapped up in my underwear at this point taht I think only a real live person is going to help me.

In addition to the installation disks I believe Mercator offered downloadable version of the install software.

If that's true the tools may be somewhere on your network as a *.exe file. Look for names like DesignS*.exe or IntegrationB*.exe. You still need the licensing info to install AND if you find the files be carefull you don't overwrite any patches that were applied. Chances are any patches for 6.5 will be located with the install files.

Hi Ray,
Yes, you are correct --- it is more object oriented. I also have procedural (programming) background but have been the lead technical support for Mercator (now named Websphere Transformation Extender - WTX, by IBM), since 1998. You don't indicate how long you have been 'at it' but it does take several months (at least) to build your confidence - and that means working with it, daily. Expert (on all features/adapters,etc.) - does not come, until years with the tool 6.5 is not that 'old' --- we have been running 6.7 for years and just now looking at 8.2 because of our MQ 5.3 support being sunseted by IBM - fall '07. (8.2 supports MQ 6.*). It seems your in a low budget shop but the best way to learn is via formal training. I would suggest taking the IBM course on mapping fundamentals....then go from there (Event server, adapters ?, R/3 ...appropriate courses based on your situation). Good luck. Stay with it --- eventually you'll master it, I'm sure. Regards. [sunshine]

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have tried to look for the tools but I can't find them. It doesn't mean they are not here--maybe they are on volumes I am not allowed to access. (They have taken SOX to a whole new level at my company!)

Thanks for the course link...that is most useful.

tractr, thanks for the encouragement. I have "been at" this since around April but I had a foot in my old position as well as the new for two months or so. I was also out on medical leave for five weeks. I am in the EDI department and there are a whole bunch more things going on than just maps, so I think you are right: I just haven't stuck my nose in them enough to get comfortable. I bet if I add up all the time I have spent inside maps, I could safely say it is less than one full month but that month has been spread out over eight months...not enough time to even get a toe wet because I have to reacclimate myself with Mercator almost every time I get back in.

I have no doubts I will figure this stuff out but it has to be sooner rather than later.

tractr

Do you know when they are releasing 8.2, they have only just released 8.1.0.1?

Hi Busbus,
Where are you located for my guide?
Maybe I can be of assistance, I am WTX (Mercator) trainer...

philmon,

I am located near Pittsburgh, PA. We have been thinking about sending one or two of us to an IBM training class. I don't know at this time what the training budget is for next year. But any information you can provide would be passed along.

Is there a particular task that you are working on. Perhaps we could walk you through it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back