Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where can I get a copy of Microsoft Visual Studio 6 Professional? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichS

Programmer
Apr 24, 2000
US
Preferably by download. I have an MSDN account but it looks like VS6 is long gone and not available for purchase anymore.

I think that might be problematical, sadly - but VB6 Enterprise Edition is still available from MSDN

I found it there. Click on Product Categories, then click on Developer Tools. Visual Basic 6.0 should show in the list.

-George
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
My Blogs
SQLCop
twitter
"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

Thanks. The application I'm maintaining was written using an installation of Visual Studio 6. If I remember correcty, most of the components of the Studio would stand alone by themselves, including Visual Basic. But I'd like some confirmation. Do you know if this is the case?

Most of VS 6.0 won't install (or run properly) on a post-XP system. So normally today one would only be trying to install VB 6.0, some of the 6.0 Tools, etc. anyway.

People do this all the time. Just leave out the parts of VS you don't need.

Ideally you'd do this before installing a later version of VS though just to be sure to avoid conflicts. They were never designed to be installed out of sequence.

And be aware that when installing these VB parts of VS 6.0 there are a few tricks required to get it right, such as running both phases of setup elevated and clicking through the MS JVM warning.

You can install it in XPmode. That works quite well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back