Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where can I find Windows 2000 XP-Prof Service Packs 1,2 and 3 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

terrytype

Programmer
Jun 1, 2011
ZA
I have resurrected an old PC which involved reformatting the drive. Having installed XP-Prof I find MS has made it impossible to find, let alone download, Service Packs 1,2 and 3.

To add to my fun I find I cannot install Office 2007 nor will SKYPE run as both are looking for files which I suspect only become evident when the service packs are installed.

Even more myserious I don't find those files on another PC on which XP-Prof, Office 2007 and SKYPE continue to work without fuss.

What am I missing?

Old Man Delphi

Also you may need to wait until the service pack(s) have been installed before office can be installed.
You may need only service pack 1 and maybe 2 before you can install office; It's been a while and I'm not absolutely certain.

Thanks very much. You deserve two stars! As regards your second post I am still left mystified as to why one strangely named file does not exist on the working OS. But I bowe to your suggestion that both service packs have to be installed which I am now doing.

Old Man Delphi

You only need sp3, it contains all previously released updates, including those not out of date in sp1, and sp2. While you are at microsoft download site, you may as well get the .net framework v4 and it's updates, as you will probably need those also.

As I am not in a network and don't anticipate gettign into one will I necessarily loose out if I don't install .net framework v4?

I eventually found a sp3 download and installed it so the OS now works along with SKYPE.
My remaining problem being [forgive me if this should be a post in another forum] when I try and install Office 2007 I get exception "Priorlybridr.WW/PriorlyW.cab not found. Browse for a valid installation source then click OK."

Which tends to indicate that Windows2000XP-Prof [including SP3] should have installed that file somewhere.
However no such file can now be found nor can it be found on my other OS on which Office 2007 works quite happily.

The plot thinkens upon reflecting that I have previously [repeatedly] installed Office 2007 on other resurrected H/D's without running into this exception.

Old Man Delphi

"Priorlybridr.WW/PriorlyW.cab not found.
Assuming you mean prohybridr.ww\prohrww.cab, it sounds like the install files are corrupt. what is the installation source, CD? Hard Drive folder? Do you have another copy to try?

The installation source is the CD bought directly from MS years ago EXACTLY because [at the time] one could only acquire Office 2007 if it were installed by a dealer. Leaving me at the risk and mercy of the dealer being out of business if and when I needed a re-install ... as now. I've only used the CD some 3 times so I would be surprised if it has been corrupted. But I take your point. I'll clean up the CD. I believe [have also found] toothpaste being an excellent cleaning agent. [Believe it or not!]

Old Man Delphi

I am MOST grateful to you for making me THINK!!! OF COURSE it has to be on the CD. As proved with a little good old Colgate toothpaste gently applied and rinsed off with clear water dried with a soft tissue and ... VOILA!!

Old Man Delphi

I recommend burning a backup CD or copying the files to another drive for safekeeping

ANOTHER great idea. As I have a 2nd H/D .... THAT is where I'll copy the CD to. THANKS again!!

Old Man Delphi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back