Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where can I find a list of default Mac/Windows fonts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stiltzkin

Technical User
May 1, 2003
US
If I want to make sure a page will display the font I want on everyone's computers, I'll need to use fonts that come already installed on both Macs and Windows, maybe up to a couple versions back for each. Is there any such list around the web? I honestly couldn't find anything extensive, and don't want to limit myself to the obvious safe fonts.

If you specify font information properly then you will avoid the problem.

A font tag or CSS rule should at least contain a font type, such as "sans-serif", "serif" etc.
This means that even if the user doesn't have the font specified then the default font for that family will be used regardless of what the user has it set as.

You can normally get away with the following (as a rough "safe" guide.

San Serif fonts
Arial, Helvetica
Additionally: Verdana, Tahoma, Geneva

Serif fonts
Times New Roman, Times
Additionally: Georgia

Fixed Width
Courier, Courier New
Additionally: none really. Though windows has things like FixedSys(?) and Lucida Console

Fantasy
Not sure. Never used it.

Foamcow Heavy Industries - Web design and ranting
Toccoa Games - Day of Defeat gaming community
Target Marketing Communications - Advertising, Direct Marketing and Public Relations
"I'm making time

That's a little more than what I've been given so far, thanks. Of course I'll play it safe and make sure SOMETHING appears to them, I just want as much control as possible of what that something looks like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back