Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where am i going wrong (second DC to existing DC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmarch1

MIS
Apr 5, 2001
US
topology again:
1 Win2K Server PDC with ADS *
1 NT 4.0 BDC
4 Win2K Servers member Servers

* is temporary and was setup with NT then promoted to PDC then upgraded to Win2K for this purpose

everything seems right except for my DNS information on the Win2k PDC
I can ping everything fine but I can't ping the FQDN from any other server but the PDC itself
I can run NSLookup on all servers without errors

If I run DNS, I only see in forward lookup zone with no other subdirectories and nothing in reverse lookup zone. Is this my issue? How do I solve it?

when I run netdiag, I get this error:
DNS test . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Failed
[WARNING] The DNS host name 'xxx. valid only on Windows 2000 DNS Servers. [DNS_ERROR_NON_RFC_NAME]
[FATAL]: The DNS registration for 'xxx. is incorrect on all DNS servers.
[WARNING] The DNS entries for this DC are not registered correctly on DNS server '999.9.9.3'. Please wait for 30 minutes for DNS server replication.
[WARNING] The DNS entries for this DC are not registered correctly on DNS server '999.9.9.4'. Please wait for 30 minutes for DNS server replication.
[FATAL] No DNS servers have the DNS records for this DC registered.

when I run dcpromo on another Win2K server, I get the error that xxx.internal.org can't be contacted....

I think it's because you named your zone ' when you set up the DC. It should have just been 'internal.org'. All your errors point to this as being the root of your problem. If you told your new DC to join the ' domain, it would probably work.

Also, what the heck is going on with that server address?!? I'd look through the IP config on that system and see what it thinks it's own DNS server address is and what the SOA record for the ' zone is.

This all looks really jacked up. I'd turn off your new 'DC' and promote your BDC back to a PDC, reformat the AD server (after removing it from the network) and install it again as an NT BDC and try this again. I don't think you picked a good AD domain name when you first ran DCPROMO on your surrogate PDC.

ShackDaddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back