Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

When was form last accessed (no pun intended)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheoCal

Vendor
Apr 30, 2003
US
Form properties contain created date and modified date. Anyone know a way to get accessed date?

The application is that a client called me in to work on a legacy database with forms called form1 form2 form3, etc. There are hundreds of forms though probably 25 are actively used.

I am trying to avoid creating a separate table and writing a series of event procedures to track when a form was last used (and then waiting a month to actually have usage history). Any ideas?

Theo, I Get It!(r) Development

I'd suggest talking to the users to see which forms they need, and which forms they are using. There may be forms that haven't been accessed for a long period of time, but users still may need them.

--
Mike

Why make it simple and efficient when it can be complex and wonderful?

No such NATIVE property for the form(s). Third party tools may include some documentation which could be used to HELP in your determiniation of what is 'surplus'. Without any recommendation, mztools and speed ferret are often cited in these fora as such resources. I DO NOT know the capabilities of either of these, but only mention them as a starting point for searches for tools in general.

Another approach, which I have used, is the traditional formal interview the users, to determine their needs and wants. Given the list, reconstruct the app with a simplistic copy of those forms and reports. Collect the recordsets and procedures referenced in those forms and reports. Repeat the adoption of referenced objects in the resulting 'superset' of the original forms and reports collection untill the new application has no missing references. Start testing the new application. when it works (for you) have a few of the uses join the testin effort, with particular emphasis on the diversity of useage. When bugs and/or missing objects are noted, add them to your work list. When the new app appears to have hte desired functionality of the original app, start adding the new capability desired.

MichaelRed
m.red@att.net

Searching for employment in all the wrong places

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back