Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

when was a site last modified? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mscallisto

Technical User
Jun 14, 2001
US
Is there a way in either IE or Firefox to determine when a site was actually last modified or updated?

e.g. in FF ... Tools > Page Info more often then not seems to show the modified date as today's date, and whether or not that's correct, I don't know.

tia

Sam

my next question is; if this is not the correct forum to ask this question, where and how do I re-post without being scolded for cross posting?

Sam

There isn't.

Content from URIs that are delivered from a script, such as blogs, forums or any other CMS will always return a last modified header that is at the instant of delivery, which is perfectly correct, because it was just created, and therefore last modified at that moment.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

Thanks ChrisHirst,

Somehow I believe "There isn't" is the correct answer.

However, what does the this tell me:

javascript:alert(document.lastModified)

seems to tell me something (sometimes)

TIA
Sam

Yep, that will tell you the last modified header information for the document at that location (URI). BUT ONLY if the document is a simple HTM(L) file that was read DIRECTLY off the server hard drive.

If there is any kind of scripting involved the last modified header will be set at exactly at the time you requested it according to the server clock locale. Which is why "There isn't" is the only accurate answer, whether it is what you expected or wanted to hear or not.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back