Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

When UPS isn't enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

rliebsch

MIS
Jan 25, 2002
US
Okay, So I have a smallish office. I have a server rack which is about two-thirds capacity. Granted, 8U of that is the APC Symmetra. I have another rack with Network gear and its own UPS.

The thing is, this is only good for about 45 minutes.

In a couple weeks my small office building is going to cut power for 16 hours to perform maintenance and testing of their emegency systems.

My company wants 100% continuity.

So, I don't even know about where to start looking for a daily rental generator.
Have any of you done this before? Any words of advice?

Robert Liebsch
Stone Yamashita Partners

Chech the yellow pages for generators. What is the total KVA load ?
Check with the local Caterpillar Dealer;they usually have truck/skid mounted generators for rent.
Make sure you have good regulation on output(preferably solid state,not mechanical).

Rick Harris
SC Dept of Motor Vehicles
Network Operations

I myself is at the moment looking at a Caterpilar generator for around 400 KVA and UPS's for around 240 KVA.

But since your installation is small I don't think a generator would be cost effective.

I know it's a little too late, but basicly you just need an UPS with a lot of battery capacity.
At work I have a small 10 KVA ups that had batteries for at least 8 hours. If I needed more I could just ad more batteries.

Personaly I like Powerware and APC UPS's

/johnny

It's probably a late post but, there is a company called Aggreko that rents generators of all sizes worldwide.
Personaly, I like MGE UPS systems for data center applications.
eric gallant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back