Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

When to use the different VC++ projects? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bujitsu

MIS
Oct 23, 2003
AU
I'm trying to understand when it is appropriate to use the different types of C++ project in MS Visual Studio.
For example, Win32, MFC, Windows Forms application (Is it Managed?).

If the Windows Forms Applications is managed, which give it the form designer like VB & C#, why use Win32 or MFC??

Is there a book on Managed Visual c++?? Most that I have looked at do not seem to cover managed C++. They seem to focus on basics and MFC. I need more of an intermediate book.

Regards

If it is a non-deliverable program that you always run in the debugger, it doesn't matter what you choose. It depends a lot on your deliverables

win32 will need C runtimes if linked as multithreaded dll. This is good for console programs or programs using the SDK or WTL.

mfc will need C runtimes and MFC runtimes if linked as multithreaded dll requiring MFC dlls. You can also link as static but the executable will be huge.

winforms will need .net framework installed. You may end up with a 100K program but you will need 20Mb of .net framework. If installed on a system which is not as up to date as yours, you may get side-by-side problems.

WTL is the same as MFC except that it doesn't have a massive overhead of unwanted routines so the executables end up a lot smaller. There are a lot of old stuff is still MFC based so M$ can't get rid of it. MFC and WTL are built on top of the SDK so they can't get rid of that either. Only problem is you probably need to try a 2nd hand bookshop to find material on MFC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back