Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

when starting SBT from the workstation i get this message, please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

titoneon

MIS
Dec 11, 2009
US
Hello,
1-I replaced my old Win nt 4.0 spk 6 server with a New Windows 2008 server r2 standard and it is a DOMAIN CONTROLLER.

2- i created a share folder in the server named "ACCOUNTING" and set the security for the users, no problem

3 the PRO50 FOLDER has been copied to that share folder, also i mapped the letter S: to the share folder

4- i copy the libraries to the SYSWOW64 FOLDER LOCATED in the server, why just want to test how it runs in the server itself, if it is not suppose to be there in these folder, please correct me, i don't need to run it in the server but anyway in case my computer is down and i need to unlock a user then i can do it just from the server.

5- i tested running SBT from the server but when i double click the SBT icon, the first thing i got, it is this message:
"The temporary data directory is not accessible.(c:\users\ADMINI~1.000\AppData\Local\Temp\) the system data directory will be used for temporary files (S:\PRO50\) then i can press the " OK button" to get out of the windows message that presented this message and i am allow to login into SBT NO PROBLEM.

6- the way i installed in the workstation(a windows 7 prof 64bit) was just creating a shortcut in the workstation, that is pointing to the location of the SBTW.EXE file in the server so the Shortcut Target is: S:\PRO50\sbtw.exe -t (I ALWAYS USED the -t parameter) and the Start in:S:\pro50.(by the way the library it is also copied into the syswow64 folder in the Win 7 prof 64bit workstation) of course the worsksts and the server are mapped to same letter in this case S:, when i run SBT from the Workst, it shows the same message window but in this case of course instead of (c:\users\ADMINI~1.000\...) is (c:\users\username.COOL\Appdata\...) where "Cool" is the DNS of the server and username could be the username on that workstation when logged but after pressing OK, then i can get into SBT.

The question is how can eliminate this message ? or what could be wrong or missing ?

i don't want to present the users to press "OK" each time they Open SBT and hit Ok to be able LOGIN in SBT.

Please any help is very appreciated, it is an emergency since this never happened before in the Win nt 4.0 enviroment and by the way i always created the shortcut by pointing to the file located at the server.
Again thanks in advance

It's a right/privileges problem on the temp folder.

An easy solution is to make a new folder on C: for temp stuff: C:\TEMP or C:\TEMPSBT. Make sure users have full access to the folder.

Then make an environmental variable for all users called SBTTMP=C:\TEMPSBT

Now SBT will use this new folder for its temporary work and you will not get the message when you start SBT.

Matthew Lefkowitz
Lefkowitz Systems, Inc.

Hello Matthew,
Thanks for getting back to me.

An easy solution is to make a new folder on C: for temp stuff: C:\TEMP or C:\TEMPSBT. Make sure users have full access to the folder.

You meant, create the TEMPSBT in the server C drive ?

Then make an environmental variable for all users called SBTTMP=C:\TEMPSBT
Where can i declare or add this SBTTMP=C:\TEMPSBT ?
Sorry for the stupid question but i don't know, can you please guide me here ?
Thanks a lot in advance

Yes, on the C: drive. If you are using the server to host all of your users using Remote Desktop Services, it will be the desktop C: drive for each of them. But if you have users with workstations, put the new folder on the C: drive for each of them one at a time.

Make the environmental variable in Start -> Control Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Environmental Variables. Add it for all users. If you have a lot of PCs, you must do it for all. If you are using Remote Desktop Services, you can do it for one and publish to all.

Matthew Lefkowitz
Lefkowitz Systems, Inc.

Matthew,
Ok, so now i understand, yeah a have like 25 workstations, so i have to create this folder on each C drive of each workst

Then on each worskst. create the envirom. variable
Ok, that is what i will do .
Thanks a million
it worked perfect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back