Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

When should you retire a DLT IV tape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjjgas

MIS
Apr 5, 2001
US
I am interested in setting up a policy for replacing/retiring tapes. We do not have one at this point. The manufactors state 1 million head passes and/or 30 years. I am curious if that is the standard in use out in the market. Please let me know what you use and why. I really appreciate input. Thanks

There is a good software, Tapewise from DPS, email Richard@dps.uk.com for details. It analyses most if not all professional drives and cartridges and gives a graphic representation of the surface of the cartridge with respect to errors. We use it here in Germany after buying an early version about 5 years ago. It is in daily use for all tape types that we sell. It is not cheap, but it is the only company I know that produces such software at all......
A DLTIV tape should be retired when the recoverable write errors exceed about 2500, although it will still be useable, but backup and restore times will get excessively long. You pays your money and you make your choice. Tell Richard that ADM recommended you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back