Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

When printing batch from AP module, printing hangs up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dscrugham

Programmer
Apr 11, 2007
US
Accpac v5.3A
PervasiveSQL 8.6
OS MS Server 2003
CPU 2.4G
RAM 2.0G

When I attempt to print a batch from the AP module, the printing hangs for approx. 15 minutes. Meaning, I see the small print dialog box popup and it hangs on the screen. The strange thing about this is that once I print the first batch, any batch printed after that prints immidiately.

I have not tried printing directly from the server, only workstations which are running a complete local copy of Accpac and pulling the data from the server. I've reinstalled the ODBC Pervasive client drivers but get the same results.

My next step is going to be to dump out the database and reload, possible index issue. Then maybe to setup a printer on the server and see if it has same results.

Anybody ever see this or have suggestions?

Thanks

Neither the server nor the workstation I'm testing from have antivirus installed... I dumped the database and reloaded, still have the same problem. I also installed a printer on the server, tried printing directly from the server, same problem... Scratching my head...

Check your ODBCs, on the first instance the printing is taking too long because it is creating a new ODBC.

Any report taken thereafter uses the new ODBC that was automatically created.

It is something to do with the ODBC naming.
For example:
An ODBC named a4wsql appears as a4wsql32.

You have to rename the ODBC and check whether it is connecting properly.
i.e: Rename a4wsql32 to a4wsql

Uh, you are not making sense.
For Pervasive databases the DSN name is the Company ID.
For MS SQL Server databases the ODBC DSN is the SQL Server name +32.

This user is using Pervasive, so the DSN name will be the Company ID.

Yup,correct Etienne.
Missed the point about the Pervasive.

But another test to perform would be to check whether the ODBC creates a successful connection.

Go to Administrative Tools -> Data Sources (ODBC) -> System DSN -> Select the Company database ID -> Configure

Click on next till you arrive at the screen where you can "Test Data Source".
Select the "Test Data Source" and check whether the connection is successful.

This test will let you know whether you are facing an ODBC issue.

ettienne-
Correct on the naming of the connect with Pervasive. These connections are automatically created when I use the Accpac Utility to verify the company database.

AntonioPerera-
On any of the workstations, including a brand new workstation that has never had Pervasive ODBC software or Accpac installed, I can test the connections and receive the popup station Connection Successful...

My Accpac support consultant suggested deleting the connections and recreating them. However, I told him that I had took a brand new workstation and installed all software and still have the problem. This would be the same as deleting them on an existing workstation already setup, more or less...

It does seem to be a communication issue via ODBC but just don't know what the deal is. Thanks for the tips though. Any additional suggestions would be great or other forums out there that I might be able to search.

Thanks

It may be DNS problems. Try adding the server to the HOSTS file on the workstation.
Edit C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\HOSTS (on Windows XP) and add a line for your server.
Use Notepad to edit the file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back