Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

When on the internet windows freezes 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Jan 18, 2004
BE
Hi,

I hope anyone can help me.
I'm using win 98se , when i go on the net from time to time everything freezes, I have to press ctrl - alt - delete and restore my active desktop and connect to the internet again.
It mostly happens when there is a pop-up screen displayed
example...when looking for flights many sites give popup screes to display timetables etc...than it usually happens.
Does anyone have an idea what could be the reason for my windows to freeze?

Thanks in advance for your help

Couple of things.

1. Sacrifice whatever wallpaper you have and disable Active Desktop. Just makes your programs more unstable. This could also be the source of your problem, too much Windows graphics and images pissing off your video card.

2. Download Spybot, update it, and scan and remove spywares.

Also update your virus scanner and do the same.

Matt J.

As suggested, it my be that your graphics card is being overwhelmed and providing some relief in the form of disabling Active Desktop and using no wallpaper may be of some aid.

I have heard some refer to this problem as "browser freeze" and it would be wise to see that you have applied all the appropriate fixes and patches.

I experience this same problem ( running 98SE with IE5 ) and have read in some forums that ZoneAlarm may be at fault ( I am running an old version - 2.6.88 - since July 12, 2001 ) - indeed, when Task Manager does respond it notes that ZA is not responding but I invariably have to force a shutdown and reboot to overcome the freeze.

Any more information from others would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back