Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

When Juno starts up, computer downloads

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomm1948

MIS
Aug 30, 2002
US
I have a homebuilt AMD 1.4gig, 512mb RAM computer with Juno Speedband installed as my ISP. Whin I log on to Juno, the computer starts downloading and I don't know what it's downloading or where it is going. It's up over 33mb as I am writing this and is still downloading. I've run spybot and spywareblaster and have eliminated spyware. I have PC-Cillin 2000 installed but the latest virus pattern isn't installed. Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this?

OK, if you'd take the time to understand what the heck the product is that you bought, you'd read this from the Juno.com website.

"3. How does it work?
Before the text and graphics that make up Web pages get sent to your phone line, Juno SpeedBand compresses them using a proprietary technology. Less data is sent so your surfing experience is that much faster! In addition, Juno SpeedBand stores elements of frequently visited Web sites so they load faster on future visits."

So, gosh, the content accelerator is downloading content to your PC before you need it to speed up your web experience later. <thunks head> DUH!

I presume it is doing so based upon the history of sites you've already visited before you installed.

Surfinbox.com Business Internet Services - National Dialup, DSL, T-1 and more.

My problem is solved. Thanks &quot;thedaver&quot; for your input, but I failed to explain what I did 2 weeks ago. I installed Warez P2P Client software and I upgraded Grokster on my computer and one of them installed a file, P2Pnetworking.exe, into the windows/system folder and also into the startup menu. When I would logon Juno, P2Pnetworking.exe would start downloading and wouldn't quit. I deleted the p2pnetworking folder and disabled it in startup and everything works great now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back