Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

When is time to change for SAN directors??

Status
Not open for further replies.

villavic

IS-IT--Management
Oct 31, 2002
PE
My EMC san is composed by 4 EMC Connectrix switches (2 16-ports and 2 32-ports), serving around 40 servers (26 of this are actually 13 unix (tru64) mission critical clusters). I still have 15 to 20% of free ports.

I have an 8830 and a DMX 1000

Growing expectations (servers) for next year may be between 20 and 30%. No plans for more EMC boxes.

Is it time to think in migrating to Connectrix (McData) directors? Are they worth it? Or should I still adding connectrix (brocade) switches?

How more redundant, reliable, and scalable are those from the Brocade/Connectrix line?) When directors are really better and necessary than switches?

What I would be looking at is the scalability of your switches should you need to grow. In that I am talking about your current topology, is it core and edge etc.. Should you need to grow you could migrate easily to a larger switch i.e. 64m or 140m and combine these with smaller switches for a core edge topology. What I would also keep an eye on is EOL support for your current hardware. This may prompt you into an upgrade.
I would get Brocade, Mcdata and Cisco in, and look what they are doing , futures etc.. to get a feel for what technology best suits your roadmap.
all the best,
Colin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back