Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

When I press Enter Key, text becomes Overset

Status
Not open for further replies.

srhamm

Technical User
Jun 30, 2012
I use InDesign 5.5 for PC, running Win 7.
My installation of InDesign is new on this computer, and since Day 1, I've had this problem:
--When typing text, if I press the Enter key, what I type next disappears. I see that it has been tagged as Overset text, even though there's plenty of room in the frame. I can see it fine in Story Editor, but can't use that to eliminate the Overset setting.
Help!

Does this happen with another font?

Is your leading set normally?

Do you have a paragraph style that includes excessive spacing before or after a paragraph?

Does the text appear overset if you hold the "shift" key while hitting the "enter" key?

Spamjim, this happens with any font. Leading is the default and normal. The Paragraph style is default and normal. Shift-Enter behaves the same way. Here are more details:
1. This problem was when I installed 5.5, so I upgraded from CS5.5 for Windows to CS6 hoping that would fix it. It didn't. Same problem.
2. When I have a story that is already spanned across several frames, and I press Enter, the cursor jumps to the next frame.
3. I have a workaround for this: if I hit CTRL-F to do a Text Search & Replace, and I put ^p in the Find line and also ^p in the Replace line and do Change All, magically, all the offending carriage returns are repaired!

Ideas?

..."Enter key" on the keypad or carriage return key left of the main keys?

...they work differently.

Andrew
==============
- Graphic Design and Web Design, Exeter, Devon, UK.
==============

...also, i meant carriage return key on the right of main keyboard, not left (good job i'm not driving!)...anyway, also verify you don't have number lock turned on in the numeric keypad.

Andrew
==============
==============

...also check the keep options in paragraph style is set to "anywhere".

Andrew
==============
==============

I checked into your questions. The behavior is the same whether I press the Enter key next to the apostrophe key or on the numeric keypad.
And Keep options is set to Anywhere in Paragraph Style. [I was really hoping that might do the trick, but it was already set to "Anywhere"].

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back