Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

when i convert my text to outlines it makes it bolder

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveKharvey

Technical User
Sep 30, 2004
CA
Hey this is driving me crazy and i dont know if it can be done but i really hope so... I have a book all laid out and now i have to put it together, now i dont want the text to get changed so in fear of this i changed all the text to outlines... After i did this the text seemed to be bolder, i was wondering if there is a way to keep the text to look the same as it did before i created the outlines but still be outlines if you know what i mean... if anyone can help me it would be great...

David K Harvey

You may have a default stroke color and width assigned to the text -- after converting use the stroke palette to ensure that the stroke is 0pt.

There's also a bit of illusion, as even if you have no stroke the text will look a little bolder on screen (unless you zoom in), as the "make text look clean on the screen" programming can no longer be used. It has no effect on printing, though, and if you're zoomed in a bit it should look identical.

You should know, though, that your file is going to be huge if you convert a whole book to outlines.

Whenever you outline text it is usually thicker on output than when left to text. Just the nature of outlines vs. text.

Same thing happens in Illustrator.

There is always a risk when converting type to outlines.... it may eliminate font issues - - but if your on press and a typo is found - - it could be costly to fix, so I would recommend having a file without the type as outlines just in case.

info@prepress-online.com

First of all, I hate In-Design, but it appears to be a necessary evil in the publishing industry -- I prefer Quark.

However, you will always get at least a slight "fattening" of the text when you convert to outlines in any application. The file will get larger, and the text is uneditable after that. I'm guessing that eventually you want to send your file somewhere for final output and this is why you don't want anyone to be able to change it. My recommendation is to just keep your fonts and document intact, and when your product is finally ready, generate a high-resolution pdf to send to whoever it's going to. You can then either tell the file to not embed the fonts, or better yet (if you have the full Acrobat application), simply apply Adobe's standard security to the pdf so that the text cannot be copied, changed, extracted or edited in any way -- Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back