Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

When I click 0 for operator in the dial by name directory the system hangs up on me. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

nathanaeldick

IS-IT--Management
Oct 3, 2018
US
When I click 0 for operator in the dial by name directory the system hangs up on me. I have the latest version of e-metro tel and the system is set up to redirect to a user extension when feature code 0 in the dial by name directory is pressed but it hangs up on our customer if they dial 0.

How did you configure the directory to dial an extension when 0 is pressed?

My guess is that the single digit 0 is treated by the directory as an invalid entry. Because of that, the call is sent to the directory's "Invalid Destination" (which is by default "Terminate Call - Hangup").

The directory is a dial-by-name one and the system will ask the caller for the first 3 letters of the person you are looking for. Dialing a 0 will get you nothing (there isn't even a letter associated with 0) and because you are only entering 1 digit, the system will time out and hang up. It's working exactly as designed.

What do you mean when you say "the system is set up to redirect to a user extension when feature code 0 in the dial by name directory is pressed"?

Hello ucxguy and telcdog,
The destination 0 is configured as a Miscellaneous Application Operator which is set to redirect to a valid destination. Is there a better way to do this. I want it to forward to an extension when 0 is pressed. There is a voice that says dial 0 to speak with operator if you get to the dial by name directory.
Thanks,
Nathanael

Nathanael,

Just tried this and I see what you mean.
I also have a misc application set up for "0" pointing to a specific extension "155"
Dialing 0 in the directory returns a recording "Please hold while I attempt to connect you to the operator." and then it hangs up.

Long story short; I could see in the support log trace it was hitting the invalid/blackhole destination, so here's what I did:
Built a new Ring Group 600 and named it "Operators"
Added ext 155 as a member.
Within the Directory, I pointed the "Invalid" Destination to Ring Groups --> Operators 600.
Deleted Misc Application for "0".

I just dialed 0 from my directory, and it rang to Ext 155 as intended.
Give it a shot.

E-MetroTel Stocking Distributor

Creating a miscellaneous application for "0" has the effect that if some user makes a new call to the extension 0 (for example by dialing 0 and pressing Send on a SIP phone), the user is routed to the destination configured in that misc. application entry (it does not mean that when a user presses 0 while on an active call they would get routed there).

Pressing 0 during an active call sends the DTMF digit 0 to the other "side" of the call. If the other side is a person on a phone, the person would hear the digit. If the other side is an application (such as Voicemail or Directory), the application would receive the digit. It's up to the application to interpret the digit in some way (or ignore it).

In the case of the Directory application, the digit 0 is considered invalid input and for that reason the call gets routed to the configured invalid destination.

Thanks everyone,
I made the changes suggested above and it works.
Thanks,
Nathanael

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back