Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

When I boot up I get stuck at a grey screen with a small folder.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I have a g3 400 B/w and when I turn it on it goes to a grey screen with a small folder in the middle that flashes a question mark and the apple face logo. I am new to macs and I do not know what to do! Please help asap!

Your Mac can't find a System folder to start up from. If you've got a CD with a system on you can start the Mac from that.
Insert CD. Switch Mac off. Switch on and hold down the C key. Your Mac should then start from the CD.
If that gets it going then the next problem is to find out why it can't find a System folder of its own.
try that and let's know what happens!

When I place the osx cd rom in the drive the system begins the installation process. If I attempt to reinstall the OS the system cannot find a destinatiion volume. If I restart without the cd I am back to the grey screen with the fold flashing with the ? and logo. IS it possible to just reformat the system and reinstall the os. I would imagine that would be best to just start fresh and clean. How would I go about reformating? I have absolutely no clue on what to do to fix this problem. I really would like to get my system up please help!!!!!

To reformat the drive, insert the orginal OS cd that came with the machine. Boot from that, place cd in at startup and hold down the 'c' key.

Once it has booted up, you will be able to Erase the disk by going to Specal pull down menu and selecting erase disk! You will need to select the drive you want to earse first! Erase as an extended format, cause that is what OS X uses. If you can't fix it in 20 call someone who can.

Sounds to me like the hard disk isn't being recognised - in which case Shy won't be able to select it to erase it?

Open the case, check the cables. Can you hear the drive spin up when the machine boots? If so, it's time for a more modern disk utility such as Norton or TechTool. If not, probably time for a new drive... Still under warrenty? Call apple, let them figure it out ;)
Best of luck,
PT

ptmon_sm_ribbon.gif

I don't have my OS X machine in front of me but I'll try to remember - Your Mac can't find a valid system folder. As to why? If it's software put the OS X CD in and let it boot up. It will come up with the Install screen. Choose "Open Disk Utility" from the Installer menu and run it. If it finds the disk it might be able to fix whatever is wrong with the System Folder. If the Disk Utility doesn't see the drive then there's a hardware problem. If you're lucky it's a loose power connector or ribbon cable (check both ends). If the Mac still doesn't find the drive it may be a failed drive (hopefully the drive is still under warrenty). Hope this gives you some options.

Shy,

Some good advice above.

Bottom line seems to be "we neeed to hear from you now".

Pop that OS X CD ROM in the drive. Power up holding down the "C" key and see if the mac properly boots up.

If so...
Navigate tot he Utilities folder on the cd rom and launch Drive Setup.. Highlite your ATA drive in the list (hopefully it's there) then click the Initialize button.

Once complete, do your X install.

Oh, by the by, what verson is that X CD you've got? It's printed right on the disc in tiny numbers.

keep us posted.

MacGeneral

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back