Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

When/How do differential backups reference the full backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brainojack

Technical User
Dec 17, 2010
CA
I've mostly sorted out my previous problem (assigning media to media pools) and after a break for Christmas I've begun tests for restoring backed up media.

Problem 1: I have 7 day GFS, Differential, Full on Sunday. Today I tried to restore yesterday's (Monday) back up and the job only generated the folders of the backup directory. I notice that when I start the job and it lists which Tapes(FSD's) are required for the job it doesn't list the Full backup form sunday. Whether I perform a Restore from 'back up Media' or by 'Session' it only ever says I need Monday's tape (the differential). I see what's lacking I just don't know how to force it request Sunday's full backup as well.

Problem 2: pertaining to Deduplication. The backup jobs can be generated on a DDD and the options allow GFS setup. However, there seems to be no ablility to choose which day to back up from.

(I've been setting up 2 sets of backups to see which one would be better suited for our data. If deduplicaiton doesn't allow GFS, or rather if its specifically meant for tapes as an endpoint, i'd rather stop travelling that road)
Regards
Drew

1) totally confused, no idea. try detailing things and perhaps I'll catch on

2) please keep it to 1 problem to 1 question posting
here also I don't understand
for example
jobs can be generated on a DDD???
I just don't understand what "generated" means here. To me a DDD is a backup device that a job writes data to or backs up to. It's not just semantics and I'm not just giving you a hard time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back