Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

When does Microsoft's Support for Windows 2000 end ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I've heard a rumour lately that Microsoft have announced the date as to when they have decided they will not support Windows 2000 anymore. Anyone heard of this and anyone know when that is ?
If anyone can send me any links showing this info, that would be much appreciated.

Ta

Ed

I've not heard anything myself, but I can almost guarentee that this wouldn't go over well. I'm still studying for the new MCSA in windows 2000, so dropping support would really tick me off, considering the time and money. Personallly, I think W2K is here to stay. .Net in my opinion will just be something different. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[americanflag]

"The essence of knowledge is, having it, to apply it;
not having it, to confess your ignorance."
Confucius (c. 551BC - 479BC) Chinese philosopher,

I'm still waiting for them to start supporting it. No just kidding. There are companies just now going to it. Windows 2000 is the last operating system our company will purchase from microsoft. We are one of the few that will go all linux and run MS applications on top.

I've used a lot of OS's and I think 2000 is the best. I've never had problems with it, with the exception of specialized software or hardware. [sunshine] Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[americanflag]

"The essence of knowledge is, having it, to apply it;
not having it, to confess your ignorance."
Confucius (c. 551BC - 479BC) Chinese philosopher,

Microsoft is so busy trying to sell certs for 2000 that I doubt they intend to drop it anytime soon. However, they did try to stop supporting NT (very recently) until so many companies, who had mixed environments or hadn't coverted yet, complained very loudly. So much so that Microsoft has changed their NT cert program to incorporate the stuff the companies were complaining about.

Catadmin - New to Server Admin, but willing to learn... All help is appreciated.

I'm doing my MCDBA in the UK at the moment and I have understood that they will stop providing support in January 2003 in Europe. This is for the roll out of .net.

This does not mean that this will be a problem for certification. Just means that your MCSE or whatever will be in Win2000, the same thing as the NT change.

Here's an interesting link that pertains to Microsoft's planned support programs.

It's my guess that Microsoft will support Windows 2000 for quite some time to come due to the fact that it's so widely used, but I've guessed wrong before.

Thanks,

Joe Brouillette

Sorry, that was for Australia! I can't seem to find the page for the United States.

Sorry!

Joe Brouillette

Even though the level of Sypport will change.
The certifications provided will still have value. I am saying this regardless if you have the experience or not.
I believe that a W2K MCSE is still a very valuable certification to have.
Chucky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back