Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

When connected to VPN lose internet connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

stre1026

IS-IT--Management
Jul 9, 2001
US
I recently setup my Windows 2003 server (standard edition) to allow one to dial in to the network using Remote Access and Routing. This works, however, I am unable to get access to the internet. This also happens when I connect directly with a VPN client. I am able to browse the server, but cannot browse other computers on the same network or browse the Internet. I believe the problem is coming from the fact that the server is behind a NAT firewall and the server is expecting to be connected directly to the internet. How would I fix this? My server's internal IP is 10.0.1.2, The routers IP is 10.0.1.1. The modem itself is directly in the server and obviously connected to a phone line.

Here is my configuration.

Internet --> Netgear FVS318 router --> 2003 Server

Please let me know how I can fix this...

quoted from
Can't access the Internet while using VPN

Symptom: after establishing a VPN connection, you may not be able to access the Internet because the VPN takes over your existing connection and all traffic to use the VPN default gateway on the remote network. The remote network may not allow VPN clients to access the Internet via their gateway.

Resolutions:
1) If you don't need to access the entire VPN resources, disable the "use default gateway on remote network" option in the properties of the VPN connection. To do that, go to VPN Connection->Properties->Network->TCP/IP->Properties->Advanced-, uncheck "Use default gateway on Remote Network".
2) Edit route table manually if you know how to or check routing page on this web site.
3) For the security reason, some firewall/routers like Cisco PIX do not allow access the Internet after establishing the VPN and you cannot modify the routing table. You may setup split-tunnel.

Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Windows, Network, Internet, VPN, Routing and How to at

I appreciate the quick reply! There is only one problem with this, I am trying to use the Internet because I am attempting to use the internet connection as sort of a "dialup ISP" for my users. So I have to use the server's internet connection. Any ideas on how to configure the server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back