Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What's wrong with this code...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmullen3

Programmer
Oct 21, 2001
DE
This is a chaotic equation program I made, and it works fine- the problem is, there's something wrong with the Do { } while ( ) loop. If you run the program, and say, enter .0000000008 and then 60 (it doesn't matter, the first number has to be between 0 and 1), it'll display the output of the chaotic equation. Now, if you enter 1 to rerun the program, and try it again, it will continuously loop in the wrong area and I'm not sure what's wrong. Keep in mind, I'm a C++ newbie. Okey? :D

The code:

#include <iostream.h>
#include <stdio.h>
using namespace std; double x = (1/2); int con = 0; int le; char b; int rt = 1;
double equ (double left, double right);

int main()
{
do {
double v1 = 0, v2 = 0;
cout << &quot;\nEnter the starting number (between 0.(0*100)1-0.((9*100)-1)).\n&quot;;
cout << &quot;Then enter the number of iterations wanted.\n&quot;;
cout << &quot;When the iterations are finished, press RETURN once to end.\n&quot;;
cout << &quot;>&quot;; cin >> x; cout << &quot;>&quot;; cin >> le;
if (le < 1) { le=1; };
if (le > 22255) { le=22255; };

do {
++con;
v1 = (2*x); v2 = (1-x);
x = equ(v1, v2);
cout << x << &quot; &quot;;
} while (con != le);

cout << &quot;\n Enter 1 to rerun, 0 to exit\n&quot;;

cin >> rt;
} while (rt != 0);
return(0);

}
double equ(double left, double right)
{
double x = left*right;
return (x);
}

I really haven't looked too carefully but one thing that caught my eye was that at the start of the program you set con = 0 and then your do/while tests (con != le). When you rerun the program con doesn't appear to be reset to 0 so I guess the loop is not behaving as you expect.

Hope this helps,

paulf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back