Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What's up with my hard drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlowder

Technical User
May 7, 2002
US
I have two hard drives on my system. My windows partition is on my D drive (no idea how I did that).

Since last night I've noticed that if I attempt to do any writing to my C drive I get a single muffled beep from the computer and then a blue screen of death (windows XP Pro).

I can browse my C drive just fine. I can run programs that are installed on D just fine. But if I attempt to write to C, this problem happens. It's like it's a half-failure, since I can browse the drive.

How do I completely diagnose what this problem is? The IDE cable is brand new (I just built this system, but the drives are old). Is the drive salvagable?

Thanks.

J

Run the diagnostics at the HD manuf's site. If the HD fails, then it's probably bad.

Like ski said, go to the manufacturer's website. Use their utility (for example, Maxtor has one called Maxblast). You can then format the problem drive, setup a primary active partition, and then copy data over from the "D Drive" location.

Casper XP is another utility you can look for that will allow you to copy with Windows running.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back