Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What's this LWP stuff:

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayBec

Programmer
Dec 5, 2001
US
I'm trying to create/write to a file on a local machine using Windows. The server is LINUX. I can write to a file on the server and I can upload a file from the local pc (accessing the web site), but I can't write to the local pc. I've tried the
open (outfile,">c:/filename.txt"); approach but can't get the process to work.

I've been reading the forums and trying to determine:
1. Is this possible?
2. What's the best method.
3. Do I have to have LWP?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Are you trying to get your PERL script on the LINUX server to create a file on the local Windows PC? I don't think this is possible (other than creating cookies, of course).

Yes. That's what I'm trying to do. If this isn't possible, what is the best approach....I've got an Oracle database and need to be able to provide users with the ability to generate reports off of the database. The reports are standardized...do you create the file on the Linux server and then FTP down to the local machine? How about the cookie approach...I haven't worked with them very much.
Thanks!

Don't know much about the way the users are accessing the oracle db but you could output the reports in html and then access using a browser from windows clients. You would of course then need to be running a web server of some sort but it's not as bad as every user needing to ftp to the server, figuring out which report to download, downloading and then reading;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back