Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What's the procedure for setting up DCOM with MTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roonie1

Programmer
May 30, 2001
CA
Hi,

I'm trying to look for a solution whereby I can call a DCOM component, developed in VB6, from clients without having to distribute files to each client.

Here's what I mean: In order to use a DCOM component, remotely installed on a server and that has been developed in VB and compiled as an exe, it is necessary to distribute two files (a TLB and a VBR file) to each client requiring access to the remote DCOM component.

I was under the impression that if I used MTS with a DCOM dll, this would eliminate the need of distributing extra files. In regards to MTS, I read in an MS KB article ( that one still needs to distribute a remote client setup exe (which MTS creates) to each of the clients. So, basically this route is also of no use to me.

Does anyone know of any way to totally eliminate the need of distributing files whatsoever, in order to get DCOM working?

Your help and advice will be greatly appreciated.

You need to install the client side files in order to have access to the Type Libraries. You could try to Late Bind everythine using the CreateObject command and declaring all of your objects as Objects and not specific types. Finally, use the second optional parameter of the CreateObject command to specify the server name of the MTS server.

For Example . . .

Code:
Dim objMyObject as Object

Set objMyObject = CreaterObject("LibraryName.ClassName", "MyServer")

Just remember that since you are late bound, all of the calls will take a little longer, so be careful how many calls you are making.

- Jeff Marler B-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back