Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

whats the overhead backing up to tapes

Status
Not open for further replies.

banalas

IS-IT--Management
May 23, 2001
US
we have tape library attached to server and we have a database server(125 GB data) or on the same network and on the same switch with 100Mbps
what my backup administrator is complaning about is its taking 7 hrs to bakup, evn though he as tapes which can write at 24MB data in a second.
i just want to know wether its network problem or overhead in writing to tapes

Please help

Thanks
Sridhar

so does your backup administrator and network adminstrator works together or are they the same person ?

to my opinon, 7hrs to backup 125GB is pretty fast ! it took us the same time to backup less than half of the data, was that faster before ?

but I dont know anything about your hardware,

I would call the tape library vendor and the server vendor see if that is a good speed

you have to find out weather there is a bottle neck in the user (ie. they are using the data while its backing up)

or the bottle neck could be on the tape drive itself, is there a new driver for the controller card for download ?

hope this helps
XM

That is fairly good, what's the problem with a 7hr backup?
125gig in 7hrs is alright

We can backup over 100 gigs in 6+ hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back