Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What's The Most User Friendly POS System 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayneholmesy

Technical User
Dec 26, 2003
US
What is the easiest POS system to use, price changes, specials, etc. Looking to try to buy used if possible to save money.

Restaurant or Retail?

As someone who works for a POS dealer I would have to be partial to what we sell. That would be Aloha for restaurants and Catapult for retail stores. And I have been told by managers who are new to Aloha and have managed restaurants with other systems, that they find Aloha easy to use.
Unfortunately, with Aloha the license issue will not let you buy used, but you can buy used equipment and load Aloha on it.

I own a restaurant. I will Check into that brand. Would I be able to load that software into a micros touch screen pos if i find one used

Aloha is great, is easier to use than most systems and has representation nation-wide. If you choose to go the route of utilizing used hardware, keep in mind that *many* dealers/resellers/support centers will probably limit assistance to just the products that they sell. Opting to {try to} use Micros stuff, you're likely going to end up spending some bucks to have all pieces work the way they're supposed to (some of Micros' older hardware was intended just for Micros and there's a chance that you'd have to reconfig some stuff... same goes for older NCR machines as well). Plus, you might find that you'll get different answers about Aloha licensing if you contact a local reseller vs. the national office... they sold their business to Radiant Systems a couple of weeks ago (I can't say if this is good -- or bad -- for sales and service, just what I heard).

A new wave of software has begun to circulate, but I haven't used any of them. Dinerware is supposed to be the next great thing and it runs with MSDE or SQL and reportedly allows full changes at any order entry station or the backoffice without having to restart or refresh, etc. If you're heavily cost-conscious, be wary of the "deals" you might encounter on auction sites.

As waitronunit said, you may end up spending alot of money on converting micros units or any other hardware,but yes it can be done. I have worked for a couple of different dealers and if you don't buy a turn-key system they will get you good with charges.
I have seen customers sub contract their network wiring and any and all network problems will be blamed on that contractor and the POS company will charge you every time they have to come out and work on something they did not do or sell you. Many dealers give a 1 year warranty on hardware and software out of the gate. Whereas with your used equipment there will be charges for repair, travel, and possible loaner rental. Use your best judgement, and weigh the pros and cons of used versus new.

One example that comes to mind is some of our customers want to provide their own network server because they see they can get a Dell to our specs for 7-900 dollars instead of pay us 1600 dollars for ours. Now they have bought the Dell and have to bring it to our office so we can program it (load software,setup networking etc.). We charge them hourly to do this and yes they saved a couple of hundred dollars but now when the server crashes, and all computers do, They have to call Dell for warranty or pay us hourly to service it.
Good luck finding a used Aloha software key. If not your loacal dealer will sell it to you, I'm not a sales rep, but I beleive the license are around 1000 dollars a terminal. Also, I have heard of Aloha giving price breaks on replacing systems like Micros and Squirrel, so you may have some trade in value. Again check with your local dealer on that.

Look for a Used Squirrel Classic system -- you are mostly concerned with the workstations (where most of the investment with any POS system is)

A new PC, software & licensing is a part of doing business and you may find it hard to find software without this 'stipulation'.

If you want a really good POS software that can do most any application, I know of an excellent one. It is easy to set up, has all the bells and whistles you might need.

Oh!! Did I forget to mention It is free?? No kidding!!

Go to Google and type in "Free Pos", It will list Dale Harris Software, there you will find DHPOS. I have used it for years. Now there is even a network Pos if you need it.

okiepc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back