Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

whats the file system used for XP 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssudha17

Programmer
Feb 20, 2001
US
Hi,
I want to load FreeBsd alongside XP and for that i need to partition my HDD. So I wanna know whats the file system used. Also is there any free software (partition magic is too expensive for me) that does a similar job as partition magic? If so please let me know. Or even if here is any website whenre i can get partition magic software that I can use free of cost (maybe a working demo version) it would be of help.
Thanks in advance.
Rgds,
Sudha Visit to know more about me

Use the Fdisk utility that comes with Linux. The file system that XP uses is NTFS, so if there's just one big partition on your hard drive, say bye-bye and get rid of it. Once you reload XP, it'll ask you to create a primary partition. Predefine the primary partition to part or half your hard drive. The rest will belong to linux.

NOTE: Make sure that you have all of the drivers for all of your peripherials for both XP and Linux, *before* you start.

Jisoo22
"Never pet a burning dog"

There are many alternatives to Partition Magic out there. Here is one for you, it's called Partion Star and you can use it with no limitations for 30 days. It's German though, but there's an English version. It works fine and doesn't do destructive partitioning, so all your precious files remain intact after the partitioning. Here's the link my friend:

Actually that's not quite true about XP using NTFS. XP uses FAT32 by default. NTFS is an option. The expert consensus from all the reading I've done on the subject is to stick with FAT32 unless you specifically want NTFS's advanced security features. A couple of people in other groups noted that they had tried NTFS then converted back the FAT32. Slower file access I think.

hi
I tried the partitionstar software but I am unable to partition it as it always keeps prompting that the access is denied or that the partition is interfering with other file. Also when I pull p the details about the existing partition in order to split up the drive (non destructive partitioning) all the variables are disabled, not allowing me to make changes or add a drive. Hope you can help me, bluerat.
Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Sudha Visit to know more about me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back