Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What's the differnce in Windows 8, Windows 8 RT and a surface and a slate??? Total Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougP

MIS
Dec 13, 1999
US
I want an inexpensive Windows Tablet that can get on the network/Domain. or do I? would leiker to be able to open Word/Excel etc on the domain. Needs WiFi?

Thanks any/all ideas welcome.
Is a Android a viable option?

DougP

What's the differnce in Windows 8, Windows 8 RT and a surface and a slate

Windows 8 implies the complete operating system for desktops and laptops.

Windows 8 RT is the tablet or mobile version of that same operating system.

Surface is the name of Microsoft's tablet with Windows 8.

A Slate is a more powerful tablet that can, via detachable accessories like a keyboard, transform into a laptop type device. They usually feature more powerful specs than regular tablets. Since Windows 8 is available for several platforms, its a way to differentiate between a tablet, and a laptop or convertible tablet/laptop, and the step in between.

I want an inexpensive Windows Tablet that can get on the network/Domain. or do I? would leiker to be able to open Word/Excel etc on the domain. Needs WiFi?

If you want a tablet that can connect to a Domain you'll want a x86 based Windows 8 Pro slate or convertible laptop/tablet rather than a standard tablet.

The Acer Iconia Tab W500 for instance, the Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet 2, etc...

All tablets, slates, convertible laptops etc.. have wireless. There may be some devices that have a wired rj45 standard network connection port in addition to wireless though, but for the most part your Domain should be accessible through a wireless connection which most aren't for security reasons.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

Windows 8 RT is designed to run on the Surface Rt. Windows 8 (non RT) can run on laptops, desktops, and the Surface Pro.

Windows 8 RT can only run apps designed for RT, which are basically those from the app store (similar to the way iPads run apps from the Apple store).

Do you have your Tek-Tips.com Swag? I've got mine!

Stop by the new Tek-Tips group at LinkedIn.

The "real" Windows 8 (x86/x64) can run just fine on appropriate tablets. There are many such tablets out there and they've been around for a while.

"Slate" is an unpopular synonym for tablet that only causes confusion. Just say "low powered ARM tablet" when you mean "low powered ARM tablet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back