Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What's the difference between Client and Desktop Version? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

lydiatian

Technical User
Nov 3, 2008
US
I need a Redhat Enterprise Desktop 5.x OS, but someone tells me that Client version is same to Desktop version. What's the difference between Client and Desktop Version? Are they the same one?

In most linux distributions, (free and fee-based), there are two approaches to how the installation is pre-profiled.

One approach - aimed more directly at experienced users - is to install the core kernel and services and then allows the user to select a set of packages (applications) that meet the users'/system's needs. This allows the installer/user to install packages (applications) that are specific and tailored to the work the machine is expected to perform - without loading a bunch of unncessary stuff. These applications can either be Desktop-directed stuff (desktop applications, email readers, browsers, calculators, media vieweres) or they can be Server-directed stuff (email server, SMTP server, HTTP server, time server, FTP server, etc.)

The second approach - which appears to be your predicament - is when the distribution provides a pre-profiled installation that provides a kit of applications that are braodly suited to either Desktop or Server-directed applications. Thus, if you select the Desktop then you get a wide range of desktop tools installed - probably without much decision time involved to root out any fluff. SImilarly for Server apps.

It is rare that a Server-focussed distribution will make any specific kernel or system tuning changes between a Server or Desktop kit. That era is largely gone, however you should ask.

Fundmentally, every mainstream distribution that is a "Desktop" or "Server" distribution is pre-profiling the installed applications to suit a user profile.

What you MUST understand is that once the machine is running, you should be entirely entitled to install anything on that machine whether from the "Server" or "Desktop" application pools. It's quite common to install HTTP and MySQL DBMS server applications on a Desktop installation.

Don't get too hung up on the distribution's packaging profile unless they inform you of specific limitations in performance or LICENSING AND SUPPORT (for fee-based distributions).

Normally, you just install any damned thing you want and get happy.

Enjoy.
D.

D.E.R. Management - IT Project Management Consulting

They're basically the same. If there is a difference in the available software, you can generally get what you want outside of RedHat's channels.

It looks like all of their "desktop" versions are referred to as "Desktop", not "Client". If you just need a basic desktop version, you're in luck as that's the cheapest, as well.

If you want Red Hat but don't need to pay for their technical support, look at CentOS ( or any other RHEL clone. CentOS basically takes RHEL's source code, removes all the branding and Red Hat trademarks, and recompiles it and distributes it for free. It's exactly the same as RHEL but without the Red Hat trademarks everywhere and without the steep price tag (which, the price goes mainly to paid technical support from Red Hat Inc should you run into any problems, but the Internet is also a really great resource for problem-solving and is free).

If you like the Red Hat branding and artwork though, you can download the source RPMs and compile and install them into CentOS and then your CentOS will look exactly like RHEL. :p

-------------
Cuvou.com | My personal homepage
Code:
perl -e '$|=$i=1;print" oo\n<|>\n_|_";x:sleep$|;print"\b",$i++%2?"/":"_";goto x;'

That's the last friggin time I offer any details in a comment... I like lgarner a lot, but a star for lgarner and not me? That's pretty weak. No offense on you lg.

D.E.R. Management - IT Project Management Consulting

I think it's because the OP asked about "client" vs "desktop" and you answered about "server" vs "desktop"

I gave thedaver a star for the effort. He wrote a lot there. :)

-------------
Cuvou.com | My personal homepage
Code:
perl -e '$|=$i=1;print" oo\n<|>\n_|_";x:sleep$|;print"\b",$i++%2?"/":"_";goto x;'

Many thanks for all of you. Actually, thedaver, I 'm very appreciate of your efforts. Your are quite expert. I also like to give the star to you. But considering the following ones that have the same question,I give the star to lgarner. For me, expert is not equal to useful. I'm sorry if there is offense on you.

Especially, thanks a lot for Bong's understanding. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back