Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What's the difference between Backup/Restore and detach_db/attach_db?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsteph

Technical User
Oct 24, 2002
US
Hi all,
We've been running this process to update our QA and Sandbox databases with Prod info every week or so. The guy who's doing it is doing a backup of prod, then doing a restore to QA and Sandbox.

Wouldn't it be quicker to detach production (we have a blackout window) and physically move the files to the data-file folders for the QA and sandbox and do a sp_attach_db to those dbs?

What issues might their be?

Thanks,
--Jim

Don't you already have full backups that you are performing? You could simply copy a backup file you already have to the development server. One reason that I like restoring to a development server is that I don't have to touch production. Detaching and Attaching production leaves room for error - such as using the incorrect database owner during attach.

Riverguy,
Thanks for responding. Yes, I do have backups but I'm looking at a time standpoint--I have to copy the backups to the dev server, then perform a restore. With detach/attach, I copy the .mdf, et. al. files to dev, then simply do an attach. So it saves that restore time which can be time consuming.

I think I will do the Restore though, because I do have the extra time andI guess I'm just wanting to do a 'best practice' procedure and from your answer it sounds like Restore is the best practice.

For either one however, I still have to deal with that whole "sp_change_users_Logon" mess right? Are there any scenarios where I would copy prod to dev and not have to do that? (We're using sql-server logons).
--Jim

For either one however, I still have to deal with that whole "sp_change_users_Logon" mess right? Are there any scenarios where I would copy prod to dev and not have to do that? (We're using sql-server logons)

You can just automate your user fixes instead of calling them one by one. I haven't tried this particular one, as the one I use I got from a friend and don't have access to my server at the moment, but take a look and you'll get the idea. When I restore a database to dev, I just execute a single stored procedure for each restored database to find and fixed the orphaned users.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back