Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What's the difference between a Trojan and a Virus? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aishaa

Technical User
Apr 12, 2001
CA
Hi

I was told that Trojans come in Jpgs - and only to accept jpg type files in hotmail accounts - is this true?
I still don't understand the concept of accepting jpgs only in hotmail accounts because I still have to download them to my computer in order to be able to open and view them.

Anyways, I am still a bit foggy when it comes to understanding what the difference is between Trojans and viruses.

Is there an explanation out there that is fairly simple on the difference between the two?

Ty
Aishaa

I believe the simplified explanation you're looking for is that Trojans open a "backdoor" or allow access to your pc (files and/or apps) from an outside source. Viruses simply reside on the pc and sabotage from within. Trojans can cause similar damage, but their main purpose is to give the sender a way to connect to your pc.

So how does one know if they have a trojan slip by unnoticed into their system?

Ty
Aishaa

Get a good antivirus program and have it run a full check of your system. There are freeware programs available but I don't know how good they will be at catching newer viruses. Tojans often reside on the boot sector so make sure you get one that will scan that area. I think there may also be freeware programs that scan only that area also.

The biggest thing though is if there is a reason for you to beleive that you have been infected with a virus. Have you been having strange problems or other things that could be attributed to a trojan? It's good to make sure you are safe but I wouldn't spend a bunch of money on expensive anti-virus software if you don't really have a problem.

I would describe a TROJAN as something that purports to be an innocent attachment (file or programme), but once in your system turns into something quite different, i.e. a virus!

If you're using the internet and e-mail, then you are open to receiving these unwanted problems, and I would have thought a small outlay (£25) for antivirus software was more than worthwhile for peace of mind...

ROGER - GØAOZ.

Also, if you are using broadband with an "always on" connection, consider getting a firewall set up on your machine. I have been using ZoneAlarm for awhile and it seems to be very good at stopping unwanted intrusions into your machine. And its free for personal use. This coupled with good antivirus software, such as Nortons Anti Virus, will have you well protected. Just as a sidenote, Im not sure what the Hotmail connection is here, unless they scan email for virus's before sending it to your machine. That would seem unlikely, but not completely outside the realm of possibility, I guess.

ZigZag

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back