Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What's the best Platform to run OV with CiscoWorks2000 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hi -

Our company is contemplating purchasing HP's OV Network Node Manager and we'll be running it on the same box as
Cisco Works 2000. We might be adding the extensible SNMP agent in the future.

Our shop is equally familiar with Windows and Unix environments, so I would like to get a consensus as to what the best platform would be to run these two together.

Would the hardware requirements be significantly different ?

that depends entirely on how many devices you want to monitor using NNM Mike

"Experience is the comb that Nature gives us, after we are bald."

Is that a haiku?
I never could get the hang
of writing those things.

We just did the same thing and had a consultant in to help, he strongly suggested we keep them on separate machines. (We happen to be on NT machines).

We are running HPOV and CW2k on a SUN e250 with 2G RAM to monitor a mid-size network (several hundreds of network devices). But HPOV is not a stable application. Regular reboot is inavoidable (about once every 2~3 months).

Hi there XiliX, please try to keep them in separate boxes since their funcionality is quite different.

Particularly, try to run NNM under Solaris or HP-UX 11.X, and also really try to buy NNM 6.2 for better perfomance, vlan handling and cool reporting features.

Under which OS are you running CW2K?

kwtso's advice regarding hardware is great, you should not have any problems with an E250, although kwtso's complain regarding HP-OV not being stable, is not quite right, it might be happening due to a misconfiguration or something like it.

Hope this helps,
vlan52.
[sunshine]

If you have the option of 2 seperate Sun boxes, that'd be great but I'll chime in that we're running NNM 6.2, CW2k LMS on a SUN E3500 with 4 Gigs of ram and pretty tuned mirrored FCAL stripe sets. We're monitoring around 250 Layer 3 devices and another 700 to 800 layer 2 devices and critical servers all at a polling interval of 8 minutes or so. I find the product as we run it to be very stable once you get all of the published (and sometimes unpublished) patches.

A lot of it will depend on your requirments & tuning of NNM and the hardware / software platform.

CW2k really was a dog in the Wintel environment when we tested it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back