Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What's the best FREE office suites for Linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pistachi0

Technical User
Jun 13, 2003
AU
Hi guys,
Can somebody tell me what's the best office suites for Linux that is free, other than OpenOffice and KOffice? Thanks.

You might be able to find Corel WordPerfect. That used to be free for linux personal use.
A Commercial version like using M$ Office using CodeWeavers Cross-Over Office is what the linux developers use here.

>---------------------------------------Lawrence Feldman
SR. QA. Engineer SNAP Appliance
lfeldman@snapappliance.com

Theres always the Gnome Office stuff. I like Abiword myself. But its not exactly a suite as such more of a collection.

Also there is the Ximian Desktop which includes an "Enhanced" OpenOffice suite

You say other than OpenOffice but that is my preffered suite of all the ones I tried.

What is it you do not like about it?

Gary Haran

Thanks guys, for the answers.
clonny2: I checked Corel website, but it seemed they don't release free version anymore.
j1bber: I haven't tried ximian desktop yet, but thanks for the input.
xutopia: Don't get me wrong, I like OpenOffice. The features are rich and similar to Microsoft Office. I just wondering if there is similar software that I can try. Thanks anyway. Hey, good website. Good luck for your future..!!

Hey,

Have you tried SOT office? It is free for windows and Linux and is better than any other office packages (apart from M$ Office) that I have tried.

I was in the same position you were and was looking for a good office suite. Don't get me wrong, Open Office is good, but just isn't the same if you are heavily realiant on an Office suite and need some sort of interopability between M$ office and other suites.

I friend then told me about SOT office. I downloaded it and it is really good. Worth the download. Crossover Office is good, and is also used here at my work, but I still am a firm believer in 'Free Software' and 'Open Source'

You can download SOT office from here:

Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back