Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What's the best feature to use for this layout?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChristianWhite

Programmer
Jun 14, 2004
US
Sometimes I could use a report that prints the contents of an entire resultset or group--headings, details, summaries, and all--then, under different headings,
prints the contents of another whole resultset or group: again, headings, details, summaries, and all.

Is this what groups are suited for? Is it something the select expert could be a help with?

I know subreports are the easy way, but I would like to open the Crystal runtime and see headings for both output clusters, so I could keep spacing of the clusters related.

Subreports are generally a bad idea.

Successful posts generally include technical information:

Crystal version
Database/connectivity used
Example data
Expected output

Crystal runtime generally refers to using the Crystal API, and clusters are generally used to describe parts of a whole such as a network or hardware, not data. For data common terms are recordsets, data sets, etc.

Perhaps what you're trying to ask is can Crystal have multiple datasources in one report?

The quick answer is no, however you can cheat this readily by using a UNION ALL query, if your version of Crystal and database support it.

-k

To have a subreport in the report header or footer is probably no more work for the machine than running the same functions as two reports. And it may be a better way to meet human needs in your particular case.

Subreports in a group or a detail lines make a lot more work for the machine, because it has to go to the server for the data each time the subreport is run, and this slows everything.

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK) [yinyang]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back