Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What's the best Anti-Spam Filter...

Status
Not open for further replies.

OneMadCoder

IS-IT--Management
Mar 26, 2008
What's the best Anti-Spam Filter available.

We are having a problem with Spam. What is the best method to fight these issues without adding a new appliance.

Define "best". What is the feature set you are looking for?

IMF is the best if you want free.
For accuracy, IronPort.
Other choices are available from google :)

The input guys. I really like what I see from Ironport and I plan on contacting them today.

Thanks again for the help.

I agree with zbnet. IMF in SP2 works well. Also make sure you update your Outlook clients Junk-Mail filter as it works in conjunction with the IMF.

If this does not work well enought then look to your security solutions first.For example the Trend CSM product includes ScanMail for Exchange which has built-in SPAM protection.

If you need more protection than this level, look at something from IronPort, GFI or Postini.

Try Baraacuda Spam firewall,they are leaders in spam blocking.Even OCR spam can be blocked.

I use a 3rd party product called SpamSoap which is a resller of mxlogic I think. We're very happy with them. One big bonus is if for some reason my exchange server is down, My T1s go down or for some reason I'm offline, mail doesn't bounce, they cache and spool it until they start pinging me again.

Drawback: somebody has your company's mail on their servers which could be a privacy/security concern.

A third party hosted solution is generally better than a local appliance for one key reason. You keep the crap off your bandwidth. ~90% of inbound email is garbage. Why let it eat up your bandwidth.

If you're going to allow it hit your wire, use the IMF. It's free, updated, and fairly easy to use.

Pat Richard
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Contributing author The Complete Reference: Microsoft Exchange Server 2007

Another vote for mxlogic. Works well, easy managment, users can set their own whitelists, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back