Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What's needed of Definity G3si for video conferencing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIS
Aug 21, 2001
US
We have an ISDN-PRI(23b+1D) T1 installed in the Definity. What else is needed (like circuit packs, adjuncts etc) to hook up to a PictureTel or Polycom video system? How would I split the channels and use a fraction of ISDN T for video conferencing.

Thanks

If you’re using a Polycom you’ll need a DCP module, which will interface between the switch and the Polycom, and of course the Poylcom will need to be DCP compatible.

I would recommend taking 6 of your PRI channels (6 for each video unit) and add them to a new trunk group, and route only video calls on this trunk. This will guarantee that there will always be channels available for your video call.

The rest is pretty easy. For each video unit you will need to add 6 data module extensions (assuming you want to connect at 384k) and wire them to your DCP module. Then add the data extensions in a hunt group, the hunt group extension will be the direct dial number for inbound video calls. Make sure the hunt group hunts using the ddc distribution method.

Is it a T-1 video unit? If you are using PRI trunks in the switch, you can connect the video unit via another DS1 card in the definity. Configure the DS-1 as "line-side" to provide the timing to the video unit as if the PBX was the PSTN. Create a 23B + D PRI trunk group for the video T-1, dial "9" and the number and you should be in business. Using MCI and Sprint as the LD carrier for the voice PRI's shouldn't give you trouble. AT&T requires that their PRI's be registered with their "switched digital services" group. It will only work for about a week if don't register the BTN of the PRI. It's not a big deal, it just lets them charge you a higher rate for doing 64K digital data instead of voice. Any other LD provider besides the big 3 probably wont work since they'll reject the ISDN data setup messages on "voice" PRI's. For high volume applications, I would recommend the Adtran Atlas 550 or 800. You can tie the unit to the PBX or PSTN with a PRI or 2, then come off the Adtran with multiple PRI's, BRI's etc to support many oversubscribed PRI/T-1/BRI paltforms like fax servers, modem racks, VOIP, video, etc. without buying expensive dedicted Lucent DS-1 packs for each application.

-CL

Very helpful information, which I could not get from Avaya support line. Thanks a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back