Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What's killing my system/

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCubitt

Programmer
Mar 14, 2002
GB
Simple question, really. When teh server is goign "haywire" and we cannot SU to user oracle and sessions hang, where do we look (on AIX) to check problematic processes and how do we know we can kill them?

I appreciate this is probably like asking "How do I know which person on the train is widest" - it needs analysing.

Are there any tools, particualrly Windows tools that can access our AIX box to provide us with a "task manager" or "wrkactjob" type picture of the system?

Thanks

There's no need for sarcastic replies, we've not all been this sad for that long!

HI,

In your case i'd telnet from the windows box to the AIX box,and run the following:

1.topas

this will display the monitor window display the CPU/Network/Memory usage - check for top cpu/memory-usage processes,high "wait" process percentages.

2. df
check for any 100% full filesystem

3. ps auxw | sort –r +3 |head –10
Shows top 10 memory usage by process

4. ps auxw | sort –r +2 |head –10
Shows top 10 CPU usage by process

5.errpt|head -10
Check for any application crashes that can give trouble (APllication terminated abnormally)

Generaly - "ps auxwww" will show you all the processes running.

"Long live king Moshiach !"

levw,

Thank you very much for that array of ideas.

1. topas did not like my DOS session, with the screen going haywire. I tried full-screen dos mode but still no luck. It looked promising though!

2. df I know about and is useful, particularly since our /usr fills up a lot and stops users logging on and more.

3. this did not work, gave an error:
10: A file or directory in the path name does not exist.
sort: 0653-655 Cannot open r
sort: 0653-655 Cannot open +3

4. Same:
10: A file or directory in the path name does not exist.
sort: 0653-655 Cannot open r
sort: 0653-655 Cannot open +2

5. Useful for post crash clean up opportunity

Perhaps I need a better telnet client than MS telnet?

There's no need for sarcastic replies, we've not all been this sad for that long!

HI,

1.Right,for toppas you need some better telnet - something like reflection,works nicely on my W2K.
3 and 4 - When you cut and paste the above commands into your terminal,it cuts off the "-" ...
Try typing the commands (do not cut&paste),or add the "-" manualy later on.

5. is good not only for the "post-crash " etc.
This is first thing I run to get an idea what possibly went wrong on the system level - can often give a nice hint towards "not enough space" or some major application crash.

"Long live king Moshiach !"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back