Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What's a "Be-Jesus"?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamBones

Programmer
Aug 8, 2002
US
I was listening to the morning news while getting ready for work this morning. There had been a shooting in some neighborhood in LA. Many shots were fired. The reporter on scene said the following...

KTLA 5 Reporter said:
...many shots were fired. Residents in the neighborhood literally had the be-jesus scared out of them.

Ok, since this was from a professional news reporter, one that I expect is well versed, educated, and experienced in accurately reporting events that happen, the word "literally" must have been chosen because that's what actually happened.

That leads me to wonder, what the heck IS a "be-jesus", and how does it leave the body when scared to such a great extent? Questions abound.

* What IS a be-jesus?
* Is it painful to have it scared out of you? Is it fatal?
* Does it come out of an orifice like a mouth, nostril, or worse?
* Does is come out of your pores? Or is it more like that dinner scene in the movie Alien?
* Does an excreted/ejected be-jesus need to be reinsterted? (Maybe we have two and you can live with only one?)
* If it needs to be reinserted, do you need to put your be-jesus on ice till you get to the hospital?

Shootings happen all the time in Los Angeles. I think the real story here is all of these neighbors that simultaniously lost their be-jesii !

Most news organizations these days have their web sites with ‘Contact Us’ links. Some of them even answer the question(s) when asked. This would be a good question to send to your ‘morning news’ place. Give it a try. I am very curious to see their response.

Have fun.

---- Andy

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

You will find most of your questions answered in the following link. Please let us know if you still have any questions.

karluk.png

It's another perfectly good word ruined erm mis-pronounced by merry cans, :)

It's should be pronounced "bejaysus" preferably with a Southern Irish lilt to one's voice. :)

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

Thanks Andrzejek, great idea.

I went to their web site and there is a Contact Us link, but it only allows 100 words. After a little testing though, I_found_that_a_word_can_be_any_length_and_this_would_be_counted_as_one_word! [bigsmile]

Too much effort though!

Reminds me of the opposite of bedeviled, but shouldn't it be bejesused, then?

Bye, Olaf.

Too much effort? C'mon Sam, you are a programmer. Even simple VBA would do it:

Code:
YourPost = Replace(YourPost, " ", "_")
:)

Have fun.

---- Andy

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

Heh, well, my time is tight due to being up against a 3/31 deadline for a data center shutdown, so even a simple little search/replace needs to be prioritized.

I did send them a link to this thread, but it may not get any response due to the fact that there was a death as a result of the "many shots fired", so seeking levity may not be appropriate.

I hope the reporter at least reigns in his misuse of the work "literally".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back