Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What's a good utility for CLEANING the Information Store?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TruBlu01

MIS
Apr 3, 2002
US
After uninstalling Network Associates, it seemed to leave a mailbox behind. This mailbox cannot be located either in the recipients or in the registry. However Backup exec still see it, even if I creat a NEW back up job. The error is from NAV and shows up in the event log under Application:
Source-NAV for MS Exchange
Category-AutoProtec
Error-42
Description-Unable to Auto-Protect mailbox GroupShield Exchange (XXXEX01)

So I'm hoping to use a cleanup utility for the information store. I don't think isinteg will do this job.

The other tool that you can use is eseutil its a offline cleanup tool. If you do a keyword search on the board you find others discuss it as well.

You have people on both sides of the isle whether or not to use this utility. I have used ESEUTIL /d - which is the defragmentation switch, without any problems.

Here is one tek-tips thread that discusses both sides and a couple of other links that can help you with your decision to use this util and if so how and when: (cut & paste if the links break)

thread10-611949

MS Article:

Exchange Admin:

Hope that helps

Exchange Administrator
ADTRAN Inc.
Huntsville AL

Have you waited past the Tombstone period? If not, try giving it a few days. Also, is it possible that the mailbox is hidden? Select eh GAL in Exchange Admin, and select Hidden Mailboxes from the View menu. If it's there, delete it.

The Eseutil is a very powerful, and potentially dangerous, utility. It won't solve your problem if there is no corruption in your database, which is unlikely in this case. Additionally, it should only be used with expert guidance, and only after performing a full backup of your databases and all associated files. As I said, though, the Eseutil won't solve your problem.

The fact that you get event log entries because NAV can't open the mailbox is a minor issue. If you can't find the mailbox, don't worry about it - it's not causing a real problem, and it's not worth your time.

Bob

Yeah, it's been gone for a few months. We have checked all hidden mailbox's. I'm really looking for a 3rd party utility, that can knock this out quickly. Thanks!

-Marc

Make sure you backup your .edb files and all your .log files before running any utility. Eeseutil can cause errors or delete data without you knowing. Also you can try to recreate the mailbox, then remove it from your NAV and then remove the mailbox again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back