Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What's a good tool for logging failures

Status
Not open for further replies.

AncientTiger

Programmer
Jul 5, 2001
US
Being a bit of a novice at building PCs, I'm wondering of I can get some advice... I have a custom built PC that is powering down at random times, then won't power back on until being unplugged the plugged back in. Is there a diagnostic tool that anyone could recommend that logs activity overnight that I can use to pin down what's failing? I'm suspecting an overheat issue, but it's elusive. It would be nice to go back to a log that shows system stats and when the system powers off what was going on when it happens...
Thanks in advance :D

------------------------------------
[yinyang] Over 35 years of programming, and still learning every day! [yinyang]

It's unlikely an overheat issue if it's happening overnight, and not running some significant routine that would increase the usage. Nights are cooler, and if the PC is just sitting, there is little reason for a variation.

Power-offs are frequent issues with many PCs and may not be hardware related at all. Have you looked at the Windows (assuming you're running Windows) logs to see what is happening at the time?

Best Regards,
Scott
MSc ISM, MIET, MASHRAE, CDCP, CDCS, CDCE, CTDC, CTIA, ATS

"I try to be nice, but sometimes my mouth doesn't cooperate.

I have looked at the event viewer, but nothing was logged. The first reference to anything amiss was the log notation about the unexpected shutdown, and it just said when it happened, but no details

------------------------------------
[yinyang] Over 35 years of programming, and still learning every day! [yinyang]

Filter the log per the following. Try to find out if the computer is shutting down as if something is shutting it down or if it's crashing.
Link

I would be suspicious of a power problem/power supply problem, but NOT if it's shutting down properly.
Have you set your power options to HIGH PERFORMANCE and tweaked all the ADVANCED SETTINGS like hard disk

oops - premature post.

.....like hard disk shut down and sleep to OFF.

You can edit your own post, you know? No need for a separate one in the case of "oops" [wavey2]

---- Andy

"Hmm...they have the internet on computers now"--Homer Simpson

Forgot about that! Haven't answered many questions this year and thus not screwed up many either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back