Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What's a good system to get for my first Sun experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

needlesskane

Programmer
Jan 10, 2007
US
Hello everyone. I'm actually at school right now in my university's Sun lab and I really like the look/feel of Solaris. I would like to get a system for learning/programming, but I have no idea what to get. These systems we have are terminals attached to a Sunfire V210 server which is wayyy out of my budget.

I found some Blade 100 systems on eBay, would those work? They seem relatively cheap. I would like to run Solaris smoothly and just write code and learn about UNIX.

Thanks in advance.

when it come to $$$, Sun usually is not the cheapest. As Dandan123 stated, an ultra10 is a good start. You could also try one of their x86 versions like the v20z. I had quite a bit of exposure with them, they were nice, and were easy to configure. the v20z has a big brother, the v40z, but i'm pretty sure this one is way out of your financial league.

I second dandan123's Ultra-10 suggestion. You can use PC type IDE drives in it, so you can buy one with very little space and upgrade it pretty cheaply.

depending on what is the focus of learing: the OS itself? Or all the handling around: OpenBootProm, tty/a, ...
If it's just the OS: download Solaris x86 and install it on any PC Hardware. If it's more than the OS itself I agree with the others: Ultra5 or Ultra 10 (which are more or less the same; nota: they are more PCish than like a server) is a very good start. You might think about a Netra t1, which is affordable now as a used one.

Best Regards, Franz
--
UNIX System Manager from Munich, Germany

Another option is to run the x86 version in a virtual machine (such as VMware's free VMware Server); I find that very convenient for experimenting.

Annihilannic.

Yeah go for an ultra 5 or 10. I have an ultra 5 that I picked up a year or so ago on ebay for £20. Does the job fine - no problems whatsoever. Takes standard PC ide disks too which is a bonus... :)

I got an Ultra 10 off ebay for $20 a year ago, it was just the box, no keyboard or monitor.

I would suggest the Sun Ultra 2 it's always a pleaser.
This will give you native scsi for expansion. While I like the Ultra 10 and the pci bus... For my purposes the Ultra 2
was the way to go, if only for the scsi drives vs. ide.
Not that you can't add a card to a 10 but native is simpler.

Well;

I have an Ultra 10 and an Ultra60. Both are fine and as far as un ultra 2 it is a solid box. Personally I like the Ultra 60. It has a higher capacity for memory than does an ultra10 and also has a second cpu slot. The ultra 2 uses sbus cards where the Ultra 10 and 60 has pci slots.

just my 2 cents.

CA

If you're trying to learn Unix, why not install Solaris 10 x86 on an old PC? That's what I did. I'm guessing it would be easier to get a hold of an older intel based PC, than a Sparc system...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back